Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Project Post

Almost all of the projects I have been working on are SUPER simple. The most beginner sewer or crafter could complete most of the projects and in no more than a couple hours. While I do hope to work on some larger projects, like a quilt, for now I'm happy with projects I can complete during one or two of Nate's naps. I have so many ideas for more things that I want to make so stay tuned for future crafting themed blog posts.


This first project is from back in the fall and the only completed picture I have is above. It's an acorn wreath made out of acorns that Nate and I collected from our local park. It took a lot of glue gun sticks and is quite heavy but I was happy with how it turned out. And in case you're going to try this yourself, make sure you bake your acorns first so you kill any maggots or other nasty little creatures that may be inside.





Appliqued octopus on front and fish on back



Here's the balloon wreath again. I used a straw wreath, greening pins, and balloons. I found this idea online (along with the majority of these projects). If you're interested in knowing more about any project let me know. There are online tutorials for most of them.

This pillow is not yet complete. Here it isn't even sewn at all, just laid out. I used scraps from various projects and this point have the leaves and trunk sewn down but need to buy a fabric for the back of the pillow. Mom, hopefully I'll finish it for you by the the fall! (online tutorial)


I made several of these bags filled with cookies and goodies to give away on Valentine's Day.


Valentine's Day pillow made with scraps that I had.


This is a memory game I made for Maddie's birthday. There were twenty four tiles (two of each person). I bought cheap wooden tiles at Joann's, painted them, glued down the pictures and paper squares on front of tiles, and mod podged over everything. I sprayed a finishing spray over them to get rid of the tackiness but they still ended up a little tacky. I want to make set for Nate and try something other than mod podge.


A crayon holder for Maddie (online tutorial)


bag for memory game



one of my favorite projects--peeps! (online tutorial)
more pictures of these as you scroll down


Sundresses for Maddie and Avvvie. The dresses tie over the shoulder and were ridiculously simple ( a version of the pillowcase dress). The exciting part of these dresses is that I made the bias tape, something I had never tried before.



appliqued onesie for Avvie


another appliqued onesie for Avvie (heart pattern look familiar?). I added ruffles to the butt, but wasn't thrilled with how it came out.


Super bright flower pillow. I gave this to a dear friend but look forward to making some more for myself. (online tutorial)

Hooded towels for Maddie and Avvie (online tutorial)
I was really pleased with these came out and want to make one for Nate. Great gift idea, right?


onesie for Avvie
I used a no sew applique product called Heat 'n Bond but it turns out it doesn't stick all the well. I don't recommend it.

These cookies were for my friend's daughter's owl-themed first birthday party.


The kids wore these shirts our first day in Disney. I again used the Heat 'n Bond and stars were peeling by the end of the day.



I love how these bunny pillows turned out (white pom-poms for tails).


The mother bunny is supposed to be looking at the baby bunny. Edward thought I just made a misshapen head.





More peep bunting. Don't they look great at my parents' house?


Quilted Easter/spring table runner. Boy did I go crazy with fabric here. It's a little much. I kept the striped side up for a short while before Easter and now have it flipped to the flower side (below).




Saw something similar to this online (for sale). I bought a super cheap canvas at Joann's (less than $4), painted over the hideous picture on the canvas, and then "appliqued" the picture onto white duck clothing using Heat 'n Bond (which is fine for this kind of a project), and then stapled it onto the canvas. I love it and hopefully some day I can hang it in a bird-themed nursery (no, I'm not pregnant!).


Continuing with the bird theme...

I got this nest at a garage sale for free. I bought green moss from Joann's and the eggs from Pier One. Love it!!! I also got a huge mirror from the same garage sale for $10 and my mom is going to help me give it a makeover. I think it's going to turn out great. I'll post pictures when I finally work on it (which won't be for awhile).


Did I inspire you to sew/craft? Let me know if you want help with any of these projects!

1 comment:

Megan Van Fleet said...

Beth, these projects are awesome!!! Do you ever rest?!? I think my favorite part of everything was that Charles Wallace was one of the memory cards in the game for Maddie--great idea! Everything looks so well-made! And the outfits for the kids are all so cute! I should try applique-ing some things for JJ and see how it comes out. You're a craft inspiration for sure!