Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I think I'll go for a walk outside now...

...the summer sun's calling my name!

What a gorgeous day! I spent much of today out and about enjoying the sunshine and cooler weather. My usual Wednesday routine is to hit up the New Haven public library, check out the farmers' market on the green, and then head to Starbucks for an apple fritter. I'm in the middle of a few books (Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown and Anne of Green Gables) so I didn't get any new books at the library but sat and browsed People Magazine, US Weekly, and some other tabloid magazines. I checked out the movie Happy Feet (dancing penguins movie), which got rave reviews from my former fourth grade students--we'll see. I didn't buy anything at the farmer's market but it's always fun to see the piles of fresh fruit and veggies, flowers, pastries, breads, etc. Every time I go I hope to be inspired to buy some crazy new vegetable (and by crazy I mean something like string beans or asparagus) but when push comes to shove I just can't waste perfectly good money on something I know I will dislike (unless it's soaking in butter and cheese).



Last week I saw Van Gogh's Starry Night and Cypresses at the Yale University Art Gallery. They were both on loan for a short while (Starry Night from MoMA and Cypresses from the Met) so I thought I should take advantage of this free opportunity and check them out. I was pretty impressed with the art collection that the gallery had. They had a nice impressionism collection , my favorite!


New Haven public library, a 20 minute walk from home

This is the Peabody Museum of Natural History and it's about a ten minute walk from our house. I haven't been yet but hope to check it out soon. I love the dinosaur statue.



This is the Sloane Physics building where Edward spends his days.




This is Ingalls ice skating rink located across the street from the physics building. I think it looks like the spaceship from the 1980's movie "Flight of the Navigator".


I guess these guys were working on the roof. What an unpleasant job.


Piper's new favorite challenge is pulling her towel out of her crate through the side slats.


Edward and I realized we hadn't seen Piper in quite awhile and found her trapped in the bedroom. She had pulled so hard that she moved the entire crate and trapped herself in the bedroom.

Poor Piper!


A few Piper updates...
She now weighs 20 pounds (she was 13 or 14 when we got her).
She has been accident free for 2 1/2 weeks.
She has discovered the bathroom garbage and loves munching on tissues, dental floss, etc. Absolutely disgusting!
She can go down the stairs on her own now.
We've had her for one month and she is a wonderful puppy!

3 comments:

Megan Van Fleet said...

You have the greatest stuff in your neighborhood!! Your Wednesdays sound like HEAVEN!!! Glad Piper is doing well--hope the other Shuman's are too!!

Sarah said...

Hey! Piper's towel is MY (old) towel :o)

Jessie said...

I'm glad Piper is doing well. She looks very cute trapped in your room. Which Anne of Green Gables book are you on? Finding any similarities between Edward and Gilbert? ha!